Childbirth Classes for Gentle Birthing
For the Mother-To-Be and her Birthing Companion
Learn Relaxation Techniques so that you can give your baby a welcome that is calm, gentle, and safe.
Achieve birth fulfillment–awake and alert–in a totally relaxed state of mind and body.
Your Choices in Birthing
We know you have many choices and many decisions to make for your birthing experience. You have choices in selecting your care provider; you have choices in selecting the environment in which you will bring your baby into the world.
Another important choice is that of the childbirth education classes you will choose to prepare for the birth of your baby.
We know you will be happy with your choice of HypnoBirthing.
The HypnoBirthing® Premise
For most of their lives, women have been inundated with the negative stories of other women’s birth experiences. Everyone, from their mothers, sisters, aunts, cousins, friends, and even strangers, wants to tell them the horrors of giving birth. They have been conditioned to believe that excruciating pain is associated with labor; and because of this, women today hold an unprecedented fear of giving birth. This extreme fear causes their bodies to become tense, and that tension prohibits their bodies from easily performing a normal physiological function. The result is exactly what they feared most–long, painful birthing or unnecessary intervention.
People who are drawn to this method of childbirth have long been searching for a way to give birth confidently and as calmly, safely, and gently as possible, whether they have chosen to birth in a hospital, a birthing center or at home. Until HypnoBirthing, this kind of birthing almost seemed unattainable for the general population.
Through a very simple program of self-hypnosis and education, healthy, low-risk women, as well as women who need medical assistance because of special circumstances, learn to dismiss fear-based stories, misinformation, and birthing myths; and they are helped to see birth as normal. They learn to trust that their bodies know how to bring their babies into the world in the calm and gentle way that Nature intended.
I’ve been a Labor & Birthing nurse for 17 years; and after attending HypnoBirthings, I’ll never look at birth in the same light. It’s incredible.
– Judy Richardson, RN
HypnoBirthing Practitioners are highly qualified birthing professionals who have distinguished themselves through education, experience, motivation, and dedication to the principles and philosophy of HypnoBirthing® and mother-directed birthing. Additionally, each must meet the requirements as set down by the Executive Board of the HypnoBirthing Institute. Your close attention to the course evaluation will ensure that this remains so. To locate a HypnoBirthing® childbirth educator near you, click on Practitioner Directory.
HypnoBirthing® Classes are taught in a format of five, 2 1/2-hour classes. If you are very near to your birthing time, occasionally your Practitioner can make special arrangements for individual classes with you.
What You Will Learn in HypnoBirthing® Classes
Unit 1: Building A Positive Expectancy
• Introduction to the remarkable HypnoBirthing® philosophy
• The History of Women and Birthing
• Why and how you can have an easier, more comfortable, and safer birthing
• How Nature perfectly designed women’s bodies to birth
• How to assist, rather than resist, your natural birthing instincts
• The vocabulary for calm and gentle birthing.
• Visualizing gentle births by viewing beautiful birthing videos
Unit 2: Falling in Love with Your Baby/Preparing Mind & Body
• The remarkable mind of your newborn baby—Prenatal bonding techniques
• Rapid and instant self-relaxation techniques and deepening techniques
• Breathing techniques for labor and birthing
• Hypnotic relaxation and visualization
• Selecting the right care provider
• The Birth companion’s role in birthing
• Preparing your body for birthing with massage and toning
Unit 3: Getting Ready to Welcome your Baby
• Preparing Birth Preference Sheets
• Preparing the Body for Birthing
• Light Touch Labor Massage
• Your body working for and with you
• Avoiding artificial induction and achieving a natural start to labor
• Releasing negative emotions, fears and limiting thoughts.
Unit 4: An overview of Birthing – A Labor of Love
• Onset of Labor – Thinning and Opening Phase
• Birth explained simply
• Settling in at the hospital or birthing center
• Preparing for home birth – or baby’s choice of birth
• As labor moves along – passing time through labor
• Hallmarks of labor
• If labor rests or slows – Companion’s prompts and activities
• As labor advances – birthing with your baby
• Protecting the natural birthing experience
• Birth rehearsal imagery
Unit 5: Birth – Breathing Love – Bringing Life
• Moving into birthing
• Positions for descent and birthing
• Breathing baby down to birth
• Baby moves to the breast
• Family bonding with your baby
Taking HypnoBirthing classes is strongly encouraged for the most optimal birthing experience. However, if circumstances make it difficult or impossible for you to attend one of our childbirth education classes, read “About the Book” and visit our retail store here on the site. The book, relaxation CDs, as well as birthing DVDs and other items are all available to you!!